Can Mercedes challenge Red Bull in the new F1 season? | You ask questions
The plan for Formula 1 to host the London Grand Prix in the east of the capital has been unveiled alongside a major redevelopment plan.
The prospect of rejuvenating the area around London Docklands – with a high-speed track compared to Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villenueve – has been proposed by environmental group LDN Collective and consulting firm DAR.
They claim the race could be held there as early as August 2026, with a 3.64-mile course consisting of 22 turns and an average speed of 127 mph. The cars would run past London City Airport and the docks on a track full of long straights and chicanes. The concept of the London Grand Prix previously introduced by former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has persisted in recent years but is understood to be an addition to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Elsewhere, Mercedes is writing an open letter to fans after “hurting” Bahrain, Helmut Marko is dismissing Mercedes’ title chances this season and Las Vegas Grand Prix organizers are releasing ticket prices ahead of the November race.
Follow the latest Formula 1 news from The Independent
F1 news: Jenson Button will make his NASCAR debut alongside Kimi Raikkonen
Button, the 2009 Formula 1 world champion, retired from F1 at the end of 2017, but still remains competitive in motorsport, competing in Super GT, Extreme E and Rallycross.
The 43-year-old also competes in the 100-meter runp Le Mans anniversary in June – but added three NASCAR races to his schedule, starting with the Circuit of the Americas in late March.
Button will also race in Chicago in July and Indianapolis in August, driving for Rick Ware Racing in conjunction with the Stewart Haas Racing outfit.
Raikkonen, the 2007 F1 world champion, will also drive to COTA for Trackhouse Racing, which will be his second NASCAR venture.
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 11:59
F1 news: Red Bull Christian Horner backs F1 CEO position over current boss Stefano Domenicali
Horner, the boss of Red Bull, is the sport’s longest-serving team boss, having led the reigning world champions since 2005.
The 49-year-old managing director oversees Red Bull’s current dominance in the sport, having won both world canter championships last year and finishing second at the 2023 season opener on Sunday with double world champion Max Verstappen triumphing in Bahrain.
But Ecclestone – who sparked controversy last year after stating he would “take a bullet” for Russian President Vladimir Putin – insists Horner is aiming for the sport’s top job.
“If you had to pick someone today, I’d say him [Horner] would be as good as it is,” said Ecclestone, 92.
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 11:42
F1 news: Martin Brundle assesses difficult start to Mercedes’ F1 season
After producing a car similar in design to the troubled 2022 challenger – with a unique “zero-pod” approach – Toto Wolff has admitted he is about to abandon the car race after seeing roughly a lap two behind Red Bull in Sunday’s race. Grand Prix.
“It seems to me Mercedes went the wrong way in 2022 and refused to turn back,” Brundle told his Sky Sports column.
“Even Lewis and Toto have openly expressed their disappointment at some points over the weekend and usually only sing praises to the teams at Brackley and Brixworth. There must be tension in the band now, the quality is there, it just needs direction and oxygen to calm their heads.
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 11:21
F1 news: Lando Norris ‘will be thinking’ of moving to Ferrari or Red Bull
McLaren’s Lando Norris may already be thinking of a move to Ferrari or Red Bull, believes Karun Chandhok. Norris returned home as the last of 17 finishers in Bahrain after pitting six times during a troubled race.
It was a disappointing start to the season for the 23-year-old, tipped as a potential future world champion, but he has yet to achieve victory in the sport.
Sky Sports analyst Chandhok believes Norris may be looking for potential destinations that could give him a better chance of fulfilling his ambitions.
“Looking at where they are [McLaren] o and we spoke before the season McLaren shut him down and Zak [Brown] doing an amazing job contracting him [Norris] for this four-year period.
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 10:55
F1 news: Exclusive interview – Sky F1’s Rachel Brookes on life in the paddock and clash with Bernie Ecclestone
A report released last week by Women in motorsports revealed that women spoke for just 1.54 percent of the duration of the new season Drive to survive on Netflix, a total of six minutes and seven seconds out of over six and a half hours. It is also interesting when you consider the emphasis of the whole Formula 1 on increasing the opportunities and visibility of women, even though a woman has not competed in the sport since 1976.
However, look at the runway or at your screens, and women are present. Not enough, e.g Go to Survive’s underrepresentation infers, but they are present. Rachel Brookes, heading towards her 12th birthdayp year as a reporter and presenter for Sky Sports F1he is one such face, refreshingly familiar to all British fans of the sport.
Swapping duties with Natalie Pinkham and Simon Lazenby, the 48-year-old is a respected and trusted voice not only to the spectators at home but also to the drivers in the paddock. He will be at 19 of the record 23 races this year, starting in Saudi Arabia next week. Speaking passionately about the job he loves, Brookes insists F1 is improving when it comes to women’s representation.
“I’ve seen it change – now there are a lot more women working in all sports and also in Formula 1,” he says.
“It was really positive. One of the first things Sky did was send me to cricket. They never had a woman on the edge before the live matches update, but I really enjoyed it.
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 10:38
F1 news: How Aston Martin eclipsed Mercedes and Ferrari after Fernando Alonso’s podium in Bahrain
Here we take a look at how Aston Martin made such an improvement in the off-season – and what they could achieve this year:
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 10:18
F1 news – ‘Demon comes out’: Esteban Ocon revealed as ‘not very popular’ with F1 drivers
Alpine’s Esteban Ocon has been described as “not very popular” with F1 drivers due to his racing behavior.
He often comes across as one of the nicest people in the sport when off the track, with Naomi Schiff of Sky Sports saying “he’s so friendly, always has a smile on his face, always says hello”.
However, she added that “he is not very popular with the drivers and I think that is due to his behavior on the track. This helmet goes in and the demon comes out.”
Speaking at the Bahrain Grand Prix race weekend, Schiff was joined by Nico Rosberg, the 2016 world champion. He said that Ocon “really loves elbowing his teammates and has loved colliding with teammates in the past.”
Ocon’s new Alpine teammate is Frenchman Pierre Gasly. The two reportedly have a less than friendly relationship and Rosberg is clearly looking forward to seeing them racing together.
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 10:10
F1 news: Mercedes gives rallying cry in open letter to fans ahead of Saudi Arabian GP
Mercedes has promised they will “not panic or reflexively” as they look to recover from an unfortunate start to the new Formula 1 season.
Both Hamilton and Russell finished more than 50 seconds behind winner Verstappen, who had ominously launched his bid for a third consecutive title and raised further questions as to whether the Silver Arrows – who have won a record eight consecutive constructors’ championships until 2021 – can take on the challenge in this year.
Hamilton complained ahead of the race that his team was on the “wrong track” and on Wednesday the seven-time world champion said Mercedes had ignored him when developing the 2023 car.
As the team now prepares for this weekend’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, Mercedes on Saturday released an open letter to fans acknowledging that they were “hurt” by their performance in Bahrain while giving a battle cry to all fans.
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 10:08
F1 news: Red Bull boss dismisses Mercedes as contenders after just one race
Red Bull’s special adviser Helmut Marko believes the world championship is already out of reach for Mercedes after a first forgettable race in Bahrain.
Lewis Hamilton and George Russell finished fifth and seventh respectively, but their W14 cars struggled for pace and were almost a second slower than Max Verstappen’s Red Bull in the Grand Prix.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said last weekend that the Silver Arrows will already have to change their approach as their unique zero-pod philosophy failed to deliver last year and the early signs are not promising this year either.
Marko, who works with Christian Horner and chief designer Adrian Newey at Red Bull, dismissed his rival’s prospects in 2023 – adding that in an age of cost constraints they cannot simply “design two or three different cars”.
“The world title is beyond Mercedes’ reach,” Marko, 79, told French radio station RTL.
“Mercedes has not one problem with the concept this year, but several. In the winter, they failed to find a solution.
“It’s going to be difficult: you can’t just design two or three different cars. With a budget limit, it will be difficult. The new car doesn’t just work either because you have to be competitive from the start. They lack test days and racing experience. “
Kieran JacksonMarch 14, 2023 10:06