On March 14, a shockingly disturbing video was uploaded by a YouTube channel called Detective Karakula left Korean netizens stunned. In the video, a man can be seen live-streaming physically and sexually assaulting a woman who appears to be barely conscious.
The footage came four days after the woman in the video, known by her online nickname “BJ Member of the Assemblyoffered testimonies about her assaults and abuse by popular male streamers. March 10 Detective Karakula uploaded a 13-minute video of Adung (whose real name is Mrs. Roh) testifying that she was tricked and blackmailed by some popular BJs (TV jockeys) into becoming an adult streamer.
According to her testimony, in November 2021 she was contacted by a man Nam Sang Gyu on social media while working behind a desk in Gyeonggi-do. He told her that if she agreed to appear as a guest on the livestream, she could earn over KRW 100,000 (about US$77.10) a day. As a single mother, Roh could really use some extra cash, so she agreed to the deal.
But when she arrived at Nam’s studio, she was forced to sign a contract in a hurry without much explanation. Nam is a well-known adult streamer who goes by a pseudonym Jjangu, but since she wasn’t familiar with the world of webcasting, Roh didn’t realize what she was getting into. As the livestream began, Nam offered her a beer that was allegedly spiked, rendering her unconscious. Nam then sexually assaulted her during a live stream.
When Roh wanted to seek help from the police on the matter, she was told she would have to pay a breach of contract fee and they also threatened to distribute a recording of her assault on porn sites and share it with her friends and family on social media. Terrified and ashamed, Roh gave in to Nam’s threats and continued to appear on many shows while directing her.
Roh also said that she was attacked for the second time during the live stream Yoon Eun Bae (known as BJ Yoon Heo Sae AND BJ Yoon Ga Ho). Nam gave Roh a different address in Gangnam, asking her to come to another live stream if she wanted to stop the first broadcast video from spreading online. When she arrived, Yoon had already turned on the live stream. He offered her a beer, but she refused, and an angry Yoon threatened to reveal the assault video to her again. Roh gave up and she passed out after drinking the beer. Later, she found a video of Yoon attacking her on porn sites from abroad.
Nam Sung Gyu also introduced Roh Kim Eun Wooexclaimed the CEO of an entertainment company KN ENM. Kim convinced Roh to sign a new deal with his company and continue working as an adult streamer. By February 2022, she was transferred to an employee accommodation facility provided by the KN ENM, where she was exposed to even greater humiliation and psychological stress. She managed to escape the facility in April 2022 and filed a civil lawsuit against the company in May, followed by a criminal complaint in June.
After Roh publicly testified about her alleged assault, Kim Eun Woo shared an official statement on her Instagram, claiming that Roh lied and participated in live broadcasts of her own free will. He also claimed that the company gave her a lot of money for her living expenses, plastic surgery and pocket money while she was working for them. Because of this statement, Roh was attacked by hateful comments calling her a “gold digger” on the broadcast channel.
But the deal Roh was about to sign was leaked by news outlets, and it was obvious that she was forced to sign a dishonest deal. This was followed by video footage of Yoon Eun Bae assaulting Roh on the broadcast, uploaded by Detective Karakula.
In the video, Yoon is seen punching her multiple times, spitting in her face, touching her breasts, and orally sodomizing her while she is nearly unconscious. Both his words and actions throughout the video clip are extremely violent, and at one point he even admits that if he wasn’t on the air, he would have punched Roh.
The video has caught the attention of the public, who are shocked and disgusted to see such a level of brutality. The case has already been raised in online forums, with many calling on the media to publicize the case and help Roh get justice.
- “I’ve never thought that before, but after the SBS fiasco last night, and now that I’ve seen it, I feel like women shouldn’t live here. I am disappointed in this country.”
- “Ah, I want to vomit. Isn’t it obvious that what is happening in the video is a crime?
- “Wow, I couldn’t even watch 30 seconds and turned it off… It’s really awful… I really hope this gets publicized, but then again, I can’t even ask others to watch the video because it’s so vulgar and hard ㅜㅜ. I hope these guys are caught and punished severely and the victim is helped to sort out their life.”
- “I can’t watch this…ㅠㅜㅜ What a bunch of crazy people…”
- “Is he the baby’s father?”
- “I saw the Instagram of the person who uploaded the post saying it was all a lie. There were photos of his family, but he also has YouTube.
- “We have to kill these bastards.”
- “Guys, I feel like puking… What the hell is this crazy video? My hands were shaking so much I couldn’t watch it all and had to turn it off. We have to put these people in prison and let them rot there.”
- “I’m throwing up, really. Crazy freaks, pull yourself together! How can you say she did it willingly, even after watching the video? Don’t live your life like that. If you must be skeptical, at least be neutral in your comments. How can you call her a gold digger? You’re not even human.”
- “Shouldn’t they be punished so they can’t make adult shows like this? The world has really gone mad. How is this different from room Nth?
- “I came back again because I’m so angry. Platform, viewers, BJ, all you motherfuckers should die.